What To Do In A Gas Emergency!

Poorly fitted and serviced gas appliances can cause:

  • Gas leaks
  • Fires
  • Explosions
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning

So if you have a gas emergency, can smell gas, experience an unexpected loss of supply, are feeling ill, headaches? nausea or dizziness, have an explosion or fire? You need to act quick and take the following steps:

Get fresh air immediately – open all doors and windows to ventilate the area

Switch off the appliance and gas pipework by turning off the gas supply at the emergency control valve at the gas meter. Do not turn the gas supply on again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Do not operate electrical switches, operating electrical equipment can ignite escaping gas.

Extinguish all naked flames.

Call the Southern Gas Networks emergency number on Freephone 0800 111999 immediately. Lines are open 24/7, 365 days a year.

If you are feeling unwell visit your GP or hospital immediately and inform them that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance.