Reduce Your Risk Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning!

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you’re exposed to high levels.

Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths.

After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin.

When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to fail and die.

Sign’s of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • tension-type headache
  • dizziness
  • nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

What DEgan Gas can do to reduce your risk!

If you have an open flued boiler or open flued/flue-less fire, normally identified as an older appliance with a pilot light, we would recommend the fitting of a CO detector. Although this does not negate the need for annual servicing it does provide a supplementary line of defence against this odourless & potentially dangerous gas.

2017-03-21T18:28:57+00:00